Wednesday, April 20, 2011

What Time Travel Feels Like

Throughout the process of writing my book I have had to think back to the way I felt things were when I was growing up. Sometimes this can take a bit to get back to the mindset I had when I was a child. All the things I thought, they way I thought them, how I viewed the world and what I perceived to be going on around me are keys concepts that I feel have to be explored at each time I write about. This process does not show like an outline when everything is written, that would be boring and repetitive. Instead it just flows from my fingers and weaves together a true story of feeling and emotion (or lack thereof).

Each time I go through this process I remember the little things I did that allow me to capture the big picture. I see the scenes unfold in my mind almost at if I am walking through them that very moment. I go through the list above to take my brain back to those much simpler times when the struggles of being a kid were all I had to worry about. In this way I can recall the past and how it made me feel. I first felt able to do this by looking at photographs and then developed it into the complex system it is today. It didn't happen overnight and I had to work at it just like any other skill but I'm sure half of it was God given. The ability to harness my old memories and analyze them is a big asset for me.

If you have been keeping up with the blog you will know that I tend to think for at least half an hour a day,many times longer, about my life and events past and present. This is where most of the thought occurs. By the time I am ready to write it all seems natural to me. I can just do it without having to think about it as its happening. I can think about something a month before I write it and only then is it recorded or could be found to exist.

Also with the regards to the book, I have not taken a single note or written anything down before or beyond what I have typed. I let my brain do the work and keep it to itself. I don't want anyone seeing my thoughts before they are ready, either of them. All that information may be hard to handle.

Questions or Comments? Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment