Monday, March 30, 2015

The Concept of "Now"

When I was younger, around 10 years old, I came up with a way to sort of review my progress in general. I don't know exactly how it started, but I began saying the word "Now' to myself, sometimes out loud, once every few months. I never had a standard time set to when I said it, just whenever the mood struck or I remembered to do so. Once I did, though I would recall where I was mentally and physically over the last few months and what changes had come about since then. Being someone on the autism spectrum change is not something I embrace readily, I just seem to deal with it. Over the months it would inevitably happen, so I'd take a few moments to reflect on what had transpired.

Life can turn on a dime, so sometimes I'd b going over some interesting changes that happened. Maybe we had moved, maybe I had moved onto a different school. I realize now it would have been wise to write down what was going on, not just making the mental notes that were lost with the passage of time. As I got older I lost touch with the concept but I think I have picked it up again, although once a year has become the new standard, or if I reached some sort of personal milestone or event.

The last time I said "Now" it was when I moved out of my mom's house to the condo next door with my brother and she moved down to South Carolina. It was a big adjustment. I pay rent now and more bills along with my own that were taken care of when living with mom. I have about the same freedoms and drawbacks, but Jeff can be a real hard ass, so I guess some were traded for others.

"Now" remains something I like about the way I think. If you feel like you are stuck in a rut or like things are moving too fast, take a moment and reflect about what is going on; you're never too busy for that. You might be surprised by how far you've come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment