Wednesday, March 4, 2015

How Having Asperger's is Like Being a Vampire

We hide in plain sight. We walk among you with a secret that we hold very close. You may catch a glimpse of what we are truly capable of but it feels like it couldn't be possible; so you let it go. You may ask us about it later but we will be coy, or at least try to be about it. We only tell people we trust because we don't like being put in a box you think we should be in. Like other people we have things we are good at and things we struggle with. Despite what you may think we have our groups, just like everyone else, who are in on the whole thing. We stick together and we can pick one another out of a crowd easily. You could say it takes on to know one, but we don't call each other out in public. One thing is for sure, once you find out our secret you never see us in the same light again.

I hide who I am from most people and it is necessary to do so. It's not that they don't deserve to know. I'm sure they would like to know why I do some of the things I do. I would rather have them think I am just a weird guy. But the fact remains that people can be stupid. They don't know what having Asperger's means. I don't want them treating me like I'm  feeble minded or someone they can take advantage of easily. I don't want them to feel sorry for me either. My own father thought that I would never be able to drive a car on my own; he must have watch Rainman one too many times. Turns out that I am a better driver than him and everyone else in the family. I feel very at home behind the wheel of a car, no no matter what what situation I find myself in. I am an aggressive driver and if people are sitting at a stop sign waving one another to go I wave to them on my way through the zone (after stopping of course). My style of driving is the exact opposite of my personality you could say. I didn't tell anyone at the DMV about AS, or have mentioned it to those racist cops who used to pull me over for no reason. If I ended up making a mistake they would assume I was mentally unfit to drive and take my license away. Just like everyone else, the less they know the better.

I hide in plain sight because I have to and you would, too. I'm sure it will come out eventually but I want to have all my ducks in a row when it does so the people who try to take things away don't have a cause to do so, or other people will have my back and things will be just as they were before anyone knew.  

No comments:

Post a Comment