Friday, July 27, 2012

The Chick-Fil-A Argument: The New Civil War?

I posted this under a picture of the Mike Huckabee response to the Tom Menino letter. Am I in the right here or am I about to have the good book thrown at my head for taking the time to thinking rationally?

"I'm from the Boston area and we are very accepting up here, unlike some of you down on the Bible Belt. You all accept what happens up here and we'll accept you, with open arms. It obviously has not gone that way thus far. Tom Menino already said there is nothing he can do to stop the chain. I'm sure the GLBT community, though, might not want to eat at the restaurant. Oh, and another thing; it's the 21st century, grow up and realize that some people are comfortable with the way they are, no matter what anyone else thinks about them. As for now, the two sides are at an impasse and we are left wondering, for now, how it will all turn out."


"Though Chick-fil-A has come under considerable fire for its documented support of anti-gay Christian organizations, officials for the fast food chain have remained mostly tight-lipped about the controversy -- until now" 


On the other side of this, Massachusetts supports the GLBT community. The two sides know where the other stands, clearly.


I post this as a third party observer, having nothing with GLBT or Chick-Fil-A. I will give up that I am biased towards Boston, but you have to give me the fact that I am accepting to anything, really, whether I agree with it or not. It's sort of like hating the Yankees, which I do very much so, but respecting Derek Jeter as a baseball player.


 While down at jewelry school I actually ate a good deal of Chick-Fil-A during my three months in Nashville. I am from the Boston area but I am accepting of differences, and would be a hypocrite if I wasn't. People are who they are and they are not going to change because someone says they should. If anything, they will resist more. The restaurant is not open Sundays and it is well known that they have some religious values. GLBT people, I'm assuming, feel at home in Massachusetts and they can get married here. I didn't see any gay bars down in the south, but I did see a lot of churches, a LOT of churches. Both sides are 'open' if you will, and we know where the cards lie. So how will this all turn out?


Personally, I think the chain we be allowed in but the GLBT community will protest, and then the whole thing will simply die down. If that doesn't happen, I will not be surprised. 


This is the debate I had with someone from the south on the matter. I tried to open up the thinking and some color to the issues other than black and white/cut and dry.




  • That's it? That's your argument? So what ever is the norm these days we should do? Look, just because it's the 21st century? The 21st is just a number of how many centuries or years it's been since Christ came. The fact that we live in the...See more

    Friday at 08:28 · 

  • Kyle Ahern I am a Christian, first off, secondly, north and south will never see eye to eye; especially on religious values. Leave these people be, what did they do to hurt you?
    Friday at 08:42 via Mobile · 

  • Gilbert Evan Broyles They're not hurting me personally, they're hurting companies that support our Father.
    Friday at 08:47 · 

  • Gilbert Evan Broyles I can't leave them alone, they need to be dealt with according to God's Holy and established ordinance. God is the one who defines marriage not man, God is the one who created Man male and female, not man, God created Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve. If we do not uphold the laws of God and go to what man determines then we are dead. We need to get back to the Word and throw out Autonomy.
    Friday at 08:52 · 

  • Kyle Ahern I can partially agree with that, but it doesn't mean we should be intolerant of those who don't fit into what we believe, I give them credit for what they believe and I even have a few gay friends whom I didn't know were gay until later in life. The only people I'm against are terrorists.
    Friday at 08:54 via Mobile · 

  • Kyle Ahern Well of I denied you or myself Christs love then I would ne denying a part of what makes us feel right/whole/ourselves. To do the same, the only difference would be denying sexual orientation, I feel OS unjust. Read this and please try to fully understand what it means.
    Friday at 09:02 via Mobile · 

  • Gilbert Evan Broyles I'm against who ever is against Christ. Who ever is against the Bride of Christ is an enemy of God. "He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad." Matthew 12:30 this is where I get my believes, I can't falter.

    Friday at 09:02 · 

  • Gilbert Evan Broyles I'm sorry, I couldn't quite get what you were saying.
    Friday at 09:03 · 

  • Kyle Ahern Our ancestors came over here for religious freedom. GLBT love in Massachusetts and tolerant areas so they can fully live their lives. I don't see them moving en masse to the south anytime soon. That is all I have, lets see how it all plays out. A pleasure debating with you, though.
    Friday at 09:09 via Mobile · 

  • Gilbert Evan Broyles My pleasure!
    Friday at 09:15 · Edited ·  · 1





Questions or Comments? Come on, you know you want to pick a side and stir the pot on this one.



1 comment:

  1. Hey Gilbert, try reading your bible

    Proverbs 26:24-26
    He that hateth dissembleth with his lips, and layeth up deceit within him; When he speaketh fair, believe him not: for there are seven abominations in his heart. Whose hatred is covered by deceit, his wickedness shall be shewed before the whole congregation.


    Matthew 7:1-5
    “Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.

    Luke 18:10-14
    “Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed thus: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.’ But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’ I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.”

    Matthew 6:5
    “And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.

    ReplyDelete