Tuesday, February 7, 2012

My Natural Speaking Voice

Honestly I don't know which voice is the one I started out with. I enjoy doing other peoples voices, so you could say I'm a mimic of sorts. I do so many others that I'm not sure which one is my own anymore. The typical Aspy voice is characterized by being very monotone, almost forced. I sound like a robot without any excitement in my voice. But I don't know if I have to try to do that voice, like a British actor doing an American voice or it comes naturally.
My voice took a dramatic change when I was eleven years old. I was at a friends birthday sleep over and then next morning I called my Mom for a ride home. She asked "Who is this?" and I had to answer a couple questions to verify who I was. I was puzzled as to why she made me do this and it wasn't until I realized that my voice had in fact changed that I knew why.
The way my friends from college know my voice is a very fast, rambling set of sounds that can loosely be described at sentences. one of my nick names among my teammates was 'subtitles'. This is completely true. When I talk, and am excited about something, much can be lost in translation. Most people just nod suggestively as most things I say are not important to begin with. I sometimes give friends this exact disclaimer, as funny as that may sound. Once again I don't know if this voice is natural or not, but it is one I have been using for quite some time so it might be. People do have an effect on me, so maybe being around them has a say on what my voice will sound like at any given time.
As far as other voices are concerned I like to do them because it distracts me from my own. I hate how I sound on the phone or anything that has been recorded. I don't feel that it sounds like me at all. This may all not sound important but voice is part of identity, and you always want to feel like yourself. The reason I do voices is sometimes I want to feel like someone else. There is one voice that does not change, however. That would be the one in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment