Monday, January 9, 2012

Physically Sick: First Time Four Years

Since Thursday of last week (1/5/12) I have been stuffed up and lacking energy. This is the first time I have been sick since sophomore year of college, fall semester. Even then I was only sick for a day as it was a quick, but noticeable fever. Everyone else on the team also got it and it was from being exposed to too many varying weather conditions in a very long day. The time I was sick before that; I cannot recall. Maybe it was fifteen years ago as I don't recall missing school for sickness. My mom even asked me one day if I would like to stay home for no reason (we all know I went anyways). I define sick as needing to either take medicine for something or missing school or work. I never have to take anything, outside of allergy season that is. My parents don't really recall me getting sick when I was younger. I am not unbreakable, but it sure feels like it sometimes.
While at Worcester Academy there were two occasions when a puking virus went around during the winter. Many people in the school, not to mention Dexter Hall, where I was living, came down with it. It made you puke until you saw bile only coming up. I never got this virus. I have not had a flu shot since, well, I can remember either. I'll have to ask my mom about that. The point of all this is, I don't get sick easily, and if I do (and you see me) you better run because its the damn plague. Granted I knew where this virus came from (the house my brother lives in some girl gave it to everybody) and I only think I got it because it was New Year's Eve and I stayed up until 6am. It didn't help that I also stayed up until 3am the following evening. I then did Bikram Yoga four straight days, Sunday-Wednesday and got stronger each time because I had been out for a month and a half as a result of a strained shoulder muscle from pulling a stuck cork out at a wrong angle.
I have heard this may be a Latino thing. While being a slave at Nordstrom, I heard that someones boyfriend never got sick, even when they were in close contact with them and had a virus. My brother is sick often, only because he wears himself out and doesn't sleep enough. As for my sister, I'm not sure about here at the moment.
I would like to think this is an AS related thing about being in control; meaning that not being able to have control of your bodily functions makes you paranoid enough to the point that ever getting sick is unacceptable. That is likely not the case. This is more of a gripe post than anything else. Being sick for this many days (going on five days now) is depressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment