Monday, January 2, 2012

Fox Passes

Everyone does it, although they don't always realize that they have. I'm on different in the that it tends to happen more often. As for the hint that it has, well that comes when everyone around me either looks awkwardly or stops talking for a second. That is when I know that I've done it again. At least people who know me are certain that it wasn't intentional. I don't get the same response from people that are not yet familiar with my MO. There are a couple of things that I do to make sure these moments don't happen as often.
I try to follow the situation at hand before putting my thoughts out there. This isn't always fool proof, though. There are times when the dynamics of the situation have changed and I haven't caught on yet. Suddenly I am saying or doing something that was OK a minute before only knowing after the fact that I should have left that idea in the chamber. If I find myself in an unfamiliar setting then I just follow suit and keep my mouth shut. True, I will probably never see any of those people again but I'd rather get out of there in one piece.
Observation is still the most important learning tool for me when I'm out in the world. People don't get this. Just because I'm older doesn't entirely change the way I go about things any different than when I was a child. They see you taking a mental note from time to time and write you off for it. Honestly, my IQ is probably higher than yours, but that doesn't mean anything in the equation of knowing how to act with people. I could write you off for not seeing things the way I do, but I'm better than that.
I could give you a few examples of stories when it all went too wrong for me, but I'll make you wait for that. Until then, just use your imagination and think how you would feel if you didn't know you had just made a total ass of yourself. Actually you wouldn't know it unless someone told you about it. That happens less as you get older and proves things you don't know can hurt you.

And you all wonder why we don't like to leave the house.

Questions or Comments? Let me know (Although you never do).

No comments:

Post a Comment