Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Parade of the Senses:Smell

As a youngster I went with my mom to many places. One type of place I always dreaded, and still do, is the Yankee Candle Shop. What is a sensual delight for many people who shop here is a nightmare for me. All of the fake smelling (I'll admit now that I love the Christmas cookie scent) candles and whatnot messed with my brain and made me feel physically sick. My head would begin to feel like I was coming down with a cold and pain would start deep in my forehead. I still can't stay in one of those stores for more than ten minutes. It's a combination of the smells and the strength of each one. Honestly, I'd rather headbutt a cactus than go there.
Any mint or cinnamon type of flavor from candy either makes my head hurt or produces and instant gag reflex, licorice is also horrible, another reason to hate jagermeister. As a kid those round peppermint candies or the Andes dinner mints were always a problem for me to even see people eat, lets not even discuss red hot candy hearts. I have gotten used to some of these smells over the years and it has lessened their effects on me. Perfume, stronger the worse it is, is something that I have had to get used to as well. Anything to strong, though, is an instant deal breaker. My own deodorant is just fine because I wear it daily and to be honest I don't think I ever had a problem with it.
Many people with AS suffers from sensory issues. The following came from an online article:

Children with Asperger’s Syndrome suffer from sensory sensitivity or are “sensory defensive”. This sensitivity can encompass any or all of the senses: sound, touch, taste, sight, and smell. These sensitivities are real, and cause the sufferer much discomfort, some describing it as ‘painful’. Sensory overload can trigger a meltdown, often being the ‘straw that broke the camel’s back’. Some sensitivity’s will diminish with exposure and the passage of time. Others will remain as severe for life.
I agree entirely with what is said here and I came to most of this conclusion on my own as I aged. The thing about scent is, its everywhere and there is nothing I can do about it. The only thing I can do is accept it. However, I don't mind waking up to the smell of bacon frying or fresh baked cinnamon rolls

Questions or Comments? Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment