Thursday, October 6, 2011

Parade of the Senses:Sight

They say that blind people have all of their other senses heightened. AS has had a similar effect on me and how I perceive the world around me. Let's start off with sight.

The first thing I do when I enter a room is to look around. This is a habit I picked up in high school I guess. Like a hunter-gatherer I look around for friends or anyone I know before taking a seat somewhere. I survey the situation and then make my choice based on how comfortable I feel that day. If I need to be alone then that is how I remain. I'll look up and give a nod or a wave before sitting down just so friends know I have at least seen them. People who know me accept that I do this. Each new person who enters the room is gone over with the eyes at once and I ALWAYS sit in a position that allows me to see most everyone else. This whole thing may seem like a primal instinct; I assure you that it is.

My vision has always been based off of movement, but not like a T-Rex, more like an eagles. I see and notice most everything. You could call it my job. Basically the above situation where I look at everything in a room and get comfortable with my surroundings first is where I trained myself to notice things in greater detail. I'll know if you have gotten a haircut or even simply pulled your hair back that day. Some sort of trigger in my brain can tell this difference in an instant. Its so precise that I don't mind telling you so, and it takes me a lot to put my thoughts out there unless invited. Women love this type of compliment, naturally. Places have a similar way of existing in my mind that is, if something were to change, I would know quickly. It's just a feeling I get and this helps me to recognize the fact that something has been altered and then I can accept it so I can remain at ease. When I don't know what is going on then I get edgy.

People can confuse knowing that things have changed with a photographic memory. I have told people where things used to be but that is only because they are not their anymore or across the room. I can't describe in detail what the item looks like without seeing it in front of me, but once I see it I can recall its every curve for the most part. Make sense?

When you look closely at everything you also have a way of seeing what others miss. I love to try and find things and am able to think outside the boundary of typical imagination in order to solve a problem. It's fun and challenging at the same time and also makes me able to think faster than most people. I can see something and recognize it quickly and then figure stuff out quicker than normal. I use 'normal' because I haven't been tested for what makes this happen, just that it is done at a noticeably better rate than anyone around me. If it sounds like I'm bragging, its because I am and anyway its one of the few things I'm proud about.

My vision allows me to do a lot of things such as noticing and being able to put things and facts together faster than most people. By noticing I can preserve myself and the situation around me so that I feel comfortable in strange places. It is part of my defense mechanism but only a small part in the grand scheme of things; the rest of the senses have a say in that.

No comments:

Post a Comment