Tuesday, April 13, 2010

YouthCare Speech

So either July 6th or 8th I am scheduled to give a presentation on Asperger's and the transition from high school to college and eventually working. Having just finished college they thought that I would be a good candidate to talk and answer the questions of the young adults in the program. I am planning on possibly what size school to choose and whatnot. The change from a set schedule to one that has time flexibility in between classes will be covered. I don't want to sound rigid to these kids or to scare them either. I'm under the impression that some of them don't make friends easily (although I will ask them each their own situation) and may need help pulling the change off as smooth as possible. I don't want them to get there and be blown away and drop out. I'm going to try and tell it how it is. The major difference I think between me and them is probably going to be that I played baseball in college and went out with the team on a regular basis. The social scene in college is a far different animal then high school, both in and out of the classroom. Even the shyest people have opportunities to make friends. As far as working goes I am going to advise them to find a job that they can handle and comfortable for them to do. People don't realize that some jobs are not a good fit for people with AS, such as selling face to face. This can create awkward situations on a daily basis, something wee just don't need more of. Growing up and people not sensing what you face on a daily basis is frustrating and is the main reason I chose to write my book in the first place. I'm sure I will cover all the idiosyncrasies that go along with the transitions in questions but, just to make sure I cover everything, I would like a little advice as to what I should cover. I have to fill 60-90 minutes as well as a Q&A, the latter being the easiest part, so if you guys wouldn't mind giving me some suggestions I'd be grateful. This is my first time speaking and it will not be my last. They are also paying me. Also if you have any questions regarding this or anything else I'd be glad to answer them. I can't stress this enough. I'm going to have to answer all the tough questions when my book comes out anyways so why prolong the process? Use your imagination, I'm sure you can think of something you'd like to ask me. After all, that's what I'm here for. If you can think of any subject you'd like me to address on this blog then be sure to let me know. Ask me the questions you're afraid to ask your kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment