Sunday, January 24, 2010

An Aspy Athlete?

It's an oddity when Asperger's and sports are mentioned in the same sentence. There is a certain thing, I forget what it’s called, bit it makes people like me uncoordinated. I think my body missed that memo, to a certain point at least. There are a couple of sports that I still cannot play. Basketball and football are two of them. I am very awkward at both of them. I think I still throw a football like a baseball. I was always short so I did not even consider basketball. If you have seen me run near then end, as I get tired, I look like Carleton Banks, from Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, when he dances. It is sheer awkwardness. Athletic movements can be learned by people with AS, it just takes longer.

The first thing I did pick up was golf. My all around game was really good and peaked at around 8 years old. I shot a either a 42 or 46 for nine holes on a local golf course. I can remember one time when I was on the golf course with my Dad and his friends and the Big Bertha just came out. Some guy came up in a golf cart and said to my Dad "Hey, he can't be here, get him off the course" My Dad replied "He's one of the best young golfers in the state". After that was said, Dad handed me the driver and I hit it 125 yards down the middle of the fairway. The guy shook his head as he drove away.

I did not always have a natural golf swing. I had to practice a lot as a kid. I was obsessed with it actually. I'd hit a little plastic ball around the entire neighborhood for hours. It was a closed off street so no one bothered me. I truly believe that the extreme ability to focus/practice is one thing that made me good at the sports I chose to play. This ability is a main trait of Asperger's, to focus on a few main things, intensely. Even after my shoulder surgery I can still crush a golf ball. This summer I was at the driving range with my Dad and brother and the first swing of the driver went way over the net and into the woods, the fence being 250 yards away. I can probably hit it 275 but I want 300. Some things are like riding a bike.

My other love is baseball. I was always, still am, the smallest out there. I can't hit much but pitching is a different story. People think I was a side-armer but I have a picture that shows me coming over the top taken when I was 12. There view on my delivery may have been because I was so low to the ground. The camera does not lie. Even in high school other teams/coaches thought I was the bat boy or mascot. I lived to prove them wrong. The good thing about the mound is that it adds to my 5'5'' height. It also does this for everyone else. Up until my injury I was a consistent 85-88mph with a hammer of a curveball and a very good change-up.

One important factor in the development of my velocity of the years is that I got a pitching coach at age fourteen. He taught me how to throw overhand and add fluidity to my motion, preventing injury for a long time. To compete with much larger athletes I had to give myself an edge. Thank you, Joe Louis for all of your help. It did not come over night, though, and just like golf it took many hours and lessons. I was worth it and is why I was able to go to Umass Lowell.

Seeing me in action is a very odd sight. People were always astounded at the way I threw. Even my college pitching coach was in awe. If my shoulder healed correctly, I've waited long enough and did all my rehab, there is no reason I should not be able to hit 90mph. It was always my goal for a long time and with a much stronger body I think I could do it.

There may be a chance at hitting 90. My freshman year of college the trainer was examining my arm and he noticed that my elbow looked a little odd. He asked me if I ever had any pain in that area and I told me him "No". He seemed curious to play with the tendon and proclaimed that it was about 3 times larger than normal. It is this exact tendon that is wrapped around the elbow and provides the "whip" for pitchers. Tommy John surgery replaces this worn tendon when it tears. Since my elbow is fine and my shoulder and entire body feel better than ever I may have a shot at throwing harder than before. It would seem logical right?

The mound itself is a very lonely place. I'm used to that. I can do whatever I want out there. I can actually enjoy making people look bad and not have remorse. My goal out there was always to mentally rape (for lack of a better term) hitters. It played hard out there and I did not like to give up runs. I considered them scoring on me an insult. I had no fear and brushing people back or hitting someone, if it was called for. I was never an imposing figure on the mound and had to protect MY plate by any means necessary.

One of the best things that have to be said about sport is that you meet people. For someone initially very shy as myself it helped me to meet others. College would have been very lonely if I had not been an athlete. If someone with AS is able to they should partake in athletics. It would be very foolish not to do so. Social networking is hugely augmented when you know people that can help you out. Many of the opportunities and experiences I have had are from people I met competing. I would not give those moments in life up for anything, anything.

Any comments/thoughts on this matter would be appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment