Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Looking back at 9/11

As you all know the 10th anniversary or 9/11 was Sunday. I chose to write this post on a Tuesday, even though its not the proper date it is the day of the week that it happened.
The whole thing was unexpected and was something no one could prepare for. I was sitting in Ms. Smiths' English class and things were typical of any day at school. Kids were doing their work or listening to the teacher talk and some went out to the bathroom. There was only one hall pass to do so and we'd eagerly await our own turn to roam the halls for a while, I mean go to the bathroom. It was either Phil Perkins or Chris Vining who came back in from the hall and he said something to the effect of "All the other classes have their TV on". This struck all of us as odd. We switched ours on and we saw a building in flames. I'm not sure if we knew what was happening at the moment, it was all a blur. We may have seen the second plane hit, but its all hazy so I'll have to ask someone else in class. Either way, everyone was silent. We didn't know what to think as all the reports were coming in about other hijacked planes. I think that everything after that was a blur, even to me. Each class from that time on all students did was watch the TV. There could have been a school announcement made, I don't know. The next day we did the same thing and jut watched TV in most classes and had discussion about what went on.
This whole set of events was our generations JFK. It didn't seem possible that it could happen. We had seen war footage and bombings on TV in other countries but when it hit home it made me go numb. I was awestruck that it had taken place. This Sunday I was watching footage of the planes hitting the towers and it took me right back to that day. I asked myself countless times 'did that really happen" then and now, expecting the outcome to change somehow. It did happen but part of me is almost afraid to let it register. I don't get sad about it, I just pissed that something so bad could happen on US soil.
That is all I have for now. If anything comes up about this topic I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment