Thursday, March 27, 2014

Moving Against the Grain: Sometimes Unintentionally, Sometimes Not

I am not what you would call an early adopter. I am not the first one in line to get things as soon as they come out (unless its dinner time and its food). You could say I march to the beat of my own drum, but the truth is that I fired that guy a long time ago because he kept walking around in circles and losing the beat. I am not fashion forward or on top of new trends in many facets of life. I stick to what I know and that can mean a lot of problems for me. I don't always do what is popular and but sometimes I stumble into a crowd that happens to like the same thing as I do. This is the case with Bikram Yoga and I have a lot of fun with my practice and have met a lot of interesting people in my four plus years at the studio I go to. I will likely do Bikram for life, no matter what people think of its founder. You see, I stopped caring what people thought of me a long time ago.

Back when I was around thirteen I got into metal detecting. I'd go to parks, old homesteads and eventually beaches, where people would often mock and stare at me. People still mock me at beaches to this day. I enjoy metal detecting because not only do I find stuff, I get to spend a lot of alone time thinking while in an environment where I am sort of a spectacle of sorts. It has taught me to shut out many of the people around me and concentrate on the task at hand. I use this skill when I have to, I don't want to shut out the ones I love. It has also taught me how to deal with people and be personable. I find a lot of stuff for people on the beach and they regularly come to me for help. I mainly decline rewards but I typically find enough to make it worth my time. Let me just add that if they made it a law that people with metal detectors had to wear a clown suit I wouldn't care one bit; although my opinion may change if the price of gold goes down substantially once again.

Back when I played baseball, from age five all the way to twenty three, I was doing something that I loved and gave me a little more attention than need be. It sure helped that I was very good and was able to play in college, but it never got me laid. Actually it probably could have, if my eyes were open. I was the clear center of attention and as a pitcher that naturally happens because the game relies on you to put the ball into play. My playing days are over, so that attention disappeared with them. So what do I do now for attention?

I would say that making jewelry has garnered me some recognition, but not enough, as my bonehead friends still feel the need to go to Jared. I've only been able to get a small percentage of what I should be getting. That will soon change as I am opening up shop with some other people. It will give me a place to meet customers instead of 'at a location to be decided' or 'my house'.

So basically I do what I feel and if people are a part of it then that is fine with me. I am going to get mocked or  be left alone so I don't really mind which one that is, and I am conditioned to deal with either. In the end no one can force you to do anything and I always remember the quote from Eleanor Roosevelt quote "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent". I guess I am just mentally tougher at letting things roll of my back than most people are, because I have had to deal with it for such a long time. I have other challenges that many people see as non-issues for them, so that more than makes up for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment