Sunday, December 15, 2013

'Tis the Season to be Busy

So as some of you know I am a professional goldsmith. The last month or so I have been very busy with various projects in the workshop, making my mother a ring from scratch and the usual travelling around trying to find hidden treasures. I have also been going into Boston a lot for supplies at, where else, the Jewelers Building. I always try to enjoy myself there because I love that place but when its about business I have to keep it close to the vest. I have kept my stress at bay by doing a lot of Bikram yoga and eating heartier meals. November and December are crunch time in the life of people who make jewelry. I have been lucky to have a lot more business than I had last year. I still have some nice merchandise in stock and one more engagement ring I have to make and set the stone. This project is in platinum, once again, and I have to make a flower petal design on a head where the diamond will sit. It should be a little challenging, but after what I made for mom it should be a walk in the park. Since the stone setting is very open I'm going to use a graver, not a bur in the flexible shaft machine, to set the stone. This will take a little longer but it will be safer in custom fitting a seat for the profile of the stone. I feel like I'm in a good place right now but I don't settle when it comes to progress in my career. I'm still trying to open a storefront with a business acquaintance of mine, but I'll let you know when that is actually going to happen. So for now I will wish you all the best during the holidays and a happy new year!   

No comments:

Post a Comment