Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Clothes I Wear


I'm not what you would call fashion forward. I find something I like and stick with it. The seasons change but I stay the same. The outside world doesn't really have an effect on me as far as clothing goes. I tend to wear black shirts and more blue now for obvious reasons. People may call this boring, then again they are not me. I have even re-dyed clothing so it will last longer. I never wear shorts unless I am around the house or going to the beach. One reason for this is my constant fear of poison ivy carrying dogs and my own cat. Another, and more original reason, is that when I first started making jewelry I was pouring a lot of my own silver and was afraid of it spilling over and landing on my leg. I do wear a leather apron to prevent this, but I have become comfortable in pants, and comfort it king. I wear pants all year, even on 100F days. People think I'm crazy for doing this but I never complain.

The clothes I wear are also usually no design or bright color free. I like to fly under the radar and muted clothing keeps it that way. I wouldn't say I rival Amish people, though, but I'm not big on distracting colors or patterns. Back in high school I went on a dress pants wearing spree, which was sort of odd, but explainable.

I used to wear the most, well, low rent clothing to school. I wore summer baseball tea shirts and shorts you would wear to the beach. I still recall Chris Vining calling me out about it in front of the school library entrance. He said something to the effect of "You really have to start wearing better clothes". I took that to heart, but a little too far. I went out and bought dress pants, and nothing but dress pants. I wore them everyday, for five years. My friends in college asked me why I didn't wear jeans. I didn't really have an answer, so at the end of the year team party I showed up wearing jeans, and boy did they notice! Simple changes are always the most remarkable I guess. Clothes to me are just a pain in the ass, and a waste of money.

I don't like clothes shopping, it is so annoying and time consuming. It's a funny fact that my mom doesn't like it either, and here I was thinking all women were pre-programmed to love that kind of stuff. I generally know what I want before I go, I get what I need and get the heck out of there, back to my own life. I only like food shopping, specifically at whole foods. In college one of my roommates at the apartment Heather, the one who's platinum wedding band I made, had so much money in her closet it was ridiculous. She had 23 pairs of just blue jeans and probably over $10,000 worth of clothes in there. Maintenance actually had to come and screw the fixture back in the wall, twice, because she exceeded the 68 pound limit of the shelf and it broke. That amount of clothing just seems pointless to me, then again I'm not a woman who NEEDS an outfit for every occasion. I did go shopping with Heather and Danielle, my other roommate, and I hated it. They spent so much money it was unfathomable. They bought things just because they were on sale that they clearly could have done without. It does, however, keep the economy going.

 Here's to hoping all the girls I know want jewelry, and lots of it. Unlike the clothes they wear it will last forever and can be remade into whatever or sold quickly if they need it; although clothing was never really good at doing that.

Questions or comments?

No comments:

Post a Comment